11 Trending Words of 2014
town, southern Sindh province, Pakistan. It lies on the Let Wah Canal and is connected by rail and road with Hyderabad (40 miles [65 km] west-southwest) and by road with Umarkot. Founded in 1806 by Mir 'Ali Murad Talpur, it remained the capital of the Talpur rulers until their defeat by British forces under Sir Charles James Napier in 1843. The town increased in importance after the Jamrao Canal was opened in 1900 and is now a trade centre for grain, fabrics, and cotton products; it also has a fertilizer factory and a government donkey-breeding farm. It was constituted a municipality in 1901. The town houses three government colleges affiliated with the University of Sindh. Pop. (1998 prelim.) 184,465.