port on the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, in St. Mary parish, southeastern Louisiana, U.S. It lies along Berwick Bay (bridged to Berwick) of the Atchafalaya River (there widened into Six Mile Lake), about 30 miles (50 km) west of Houma. Founded in 1850, it was incorporated (1860) as Brashear City but was renamed in 1876 for Charles Morgan, then president of the New Orleans, Opelousas and Great Western Railroad, which established its western terminus there. During the American Civil War, the city was a strategic point for the Confederate army as the locale for forts and gunboats. It also served as a supply line for Union soldiers
Learn more about Morgan City with a free trial on Britannica.com.