city, seat (1835) of Marshall county, in the northern panhandle of West Virginia, U.S. It lies along the Ohio River, just south of Wheeling. The original settlement, known in 1771 as Grave Creek for a large burial mound (now within city limits) built by the Adena people, was renamed Elizabethtown in 1798. Mound City was established nearby in 1831, and the two communities were consolidated as Moundsville in 1866.
Learn more about Moundsville with a free trial on Britannica.com.