Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, seat (1836) of Henry county, southeastern Iowa, U.S., near the Skunk River, 25 miles (40 km) northwest of Burlington. Settled in 1834, it was surveyed in 1837 and named for its commanding elevation and pleasant shade trees. It is the site of the state's first courthouse (1839). A plank road was built from Burlington to Mount Pleasant in the early 1850s, followed a few years later by the railroad. This spurred the town's subsequent growth.