city of county status, Zala megye (county), southwestern Hungary. On the Principalis-csatorna (canal) connecting the Zala and Mura rivers, it is 9 mi (15 km) from the Croatian frontier. An old strategic fortified settlement, it was located on a wooden pile road that crossed the surrounding marshy terrain. First built in 1300, the fortress was frequently besieged by the Turks between 1532 and 1600. After its capture, the Turks held it until 1690. The parish church was built in 1760 from the stones of a Muslim mosque and minaret. The Thury Gyorgy Muzeum commemorates the legendary captain of Nagykanizsa's fortress in the battles against the Turks. Post-World War II industries have included brewing, glassworking, the manufacture of lighting equipment, and the supply of machines and equipment to the petroleum industry. The city is located on important road and rail routes. Pop. (2001) 52,106.
Learn more about Nagykanizsa with a free trial on Britannica.com.