city, Saxony-Anhalt Land (state), east-central Germany. It lies along the Saale River, near the mouth of the Unstrut River, southwest of Halle. Founded by the margraves of Meissen about the year 1000, Naumburg was granted to the bishop of Zeitz when he transferred his seat there in 1028. It received town rights in 1142. It was a member of the Hanseatic League in the 15th century but fell to Saxony in 1564 and to Prussia in 1815. Naumburg's industries include the manufacture of machine tools and wood products. The city's Romanesque and Gothic 13th-14th-century cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul is notable, as are the remains of four churches from the 16th to the 18th century. Pop. (2003 est.) 30,004.
Learn more about Naumburg with a free trial on Britannica.com.