Yours, Etc.: Origins and Uses of 8 Sign-Offs
city, seat (1808) of Tuscarawas county, east-central Ohio, U.S. It lies along the Tuscarawas River, adjacent to the city of Dover, about 25 miles (40 km) south of Canton. It was founded in 1804 by John Knisely, a tavern keeper from York, Pa. Named for Philadelphia, Pa., the community developed after the American Civil War, when the utilization of large local coal and clay deposits spurred industrial development.