Get the details behind our redesign
city, seat (1722) of Craven county, eastern North Carolina, U.S. It lies at the confluence of the Neuse and Trent Rivers, about 35 miles (55 km) northeast of Jacksonville. The second oldest town in North Carolina, New Bern was settled in 1710 by Freiherr (baron) Christophe von Graffenried of Bern, Switzerland. It was incorporated in 1723 after near destruction by Native Americans. Colonial North Carolina's first printing press (1749), used to print the first newspaper, the North Carolina Gazette, and first tax-supported school, New Bern Academy (1764), were located there. New Bern served as the colonial and state capital from 1746 to 1792. Tryon Palace, built in 1767-70 by the royal governor, William Tryon, was the first capitol; it was restored (1952-59) as a state historic site. The first and second provincial congresses in North Carolina opposing the British met there in 1774 and 1775, respectively.