city, seat (1808) of Tuscarawas county, east-central Ohio, U.S. It lies along the Tuscarawas River, adjacent to the city of Dover, about 25 miles (40 km) south of Canton. It was founded in 1804 by John Knisely, a tavern keeper from York, Pa. Named for Philadelphia, Pa., the community developed after the American Civil War, when the utilization of large local coal and clay deposits spurred industrial development.
Learn more about New Philadelphia with a free trial on Britannica.com.
|an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance.|
|a stew of meat, vegetables, potatoes, etc.|