Get our exclusive Word of the Day images!
city ("district") and port, Taranaki local government region, western North Island, New Zealand. It lies along North Taranaki Bight at the base of Mount Taranaki (Egmont). The settlement was founded in 1841 by the New Plymouth Company under the auspices of the New Zealand Company. In time, land disputes between New Plymouth's English immigrants and the native Maoris built up to the open hostilities of the 1860 Taranaki War. The town was designated a borough in 1877 and a city in 1949.