city, Essex county, northeastern Massachusetts, U.S. It lies at the mouth of the Merrimack River, 30 miles (48 km) north-northeast of Boston. Settled in 1635 (as part of Newbury), its location attracted early fishing, shipbuilding, and craft industries and led to its incorporation as a separate town in 1764. Its sheltered harbour was home port for a large merchant fleet that brought wealth to the town in the years prior to the American Revolution. The Jefferson Embargo of 1807-08 (against all foreign trade), a disastrous fire in 1811, and the War of 1812 set a decline in motion that ended the town's importance as a commercial port. A brief economic boom was experienced during the 1840s when local shipyards produced several famous clipper ships under the direction of Donald McKay. After 1850 the city's production of textiles, shoes, silverware, and rum was significant. Tourism and light manufacturing are now the economic mainstays.
Learn more about Newburyport with a free trial on Britannica.com.