urban town (township), just northeast of New Haven, New Haven county, south-central Connecticut, U.S., on the Quinnipiac River. First settled about 1650 by William Bradley, it became a parish in 1716 and was named North Haven in 1739. In 1786 it was separated from New Haven and incorporated as a town. Several 18th-century houses, including the parsonage of Benjamin Trumbull (pastor 1760-1820), remain. Brickmaking and shipbuilding were early industries. The town's manufactures are now well diversified and include aircraft engine parts, chemicals, machinery, and tools. The North Haven campus of Gateway Community-Technical College (1992) is located there. Area 21 square miles (54 square km). Pop. (1990) 22,247; (2000) 23,035.
Learn more about North Haven with a free trial on Britannica.com.