town, Abruzzi region, central Italy, on a promontory 230 feet (70 m) above sea level, on the Adriatic coast, about 11 miles (18 km) southeast of Pescara. An ancient settlement, it was placed by the 1st-century-BC Greek geographer Strabo and the 1st-century-AD Roman scholar Pliny the Elder in the territory of the Frentani, a clan that allied itself with Rome in the 4th century BC. Ortona later became a Roman municipality. It was severely damaged by earthquakes on several occasions. In the 18th century it was annexed to the Kingdom of Naples and was subsequently absorbed into the Kingdom of Italy. Landmarks include the town's cathedral, rebuilt after damage in World War II, and the Aragonese castle (1452).
Learn more about Ortona with a free trial on Britannica.com.