Stories We Like: A Guide to the Comma
city, southern Chile, lying at the junction of the Damas and Rahue rivers, 40 miles (64 km) inland from the Pacific coast. It was founded in 1553 under the name Santa Marina de Gaete, but this attempt failed. It was refounded in 1558 by Garcia Hurtado de Mendoza, who named it Ciudad de San Mateo de Osorno. The settlement came under attack by Araucanian Indians in 1599 and was devastated in 1602. After several unsuccessful attempts, it was repopulated in 1796 by order of Ambrosio O'Higgins (the father of Bernardo O'Higgins).