Why turkey has the same name as Turkey
city, Leningrad oblast (province), northwestern Russia. Founded in 1777 as Pavlovskoye, it became a city and was renamed Pavlovsk in 1796. The site, on the Slavyanka River, was a gift from Catherine II the Great to her son and heir, Paul. She commissioned the Scottish architect Charles Cameron to design the palace and park, most of which was built between 1782 and 1786. Later, other architects made changes and additions to Cameron's original scheme. The main building is the Great Palace, a domed, rectangular structure, surrounded by 1,500 acres (600 hectares) of park.