|any of various games played in Spain, Spanish America, SW France, etc, by two players who use a basket strapped to their wrists or a wooden racket to propel a ball against a specially marked wall|
|[C19: from Spanish: ball, from Old French pelote; see |
coastal city, southeastern Rio Grande do Sul estado (state), southern Brazil. It is located on the left bank of the Sao Goncalo Canal, the river that connects Mirim Lagoon with the Patos Lagoon. Founded in 1780 as Sao Francisco de Paula, it was raised to town status and renamed in 1830; it became a city in 1835. Located at 23 feet (7 metres) above sea level, it serves with the port of Rio Grande (25 miles [40 km] southeast) as a transfer point for ocean vessels that cannot cross the shallow Patos to Porto Alegre fully loaded. It is also the chief port for the cattle-ranching area of southern Rio Grande do Sul. Pelotas is Brazil's largest producer of xarque (jerked beef) and has meat-packing plants, flour and rice mills, tanneries, and other factories. It is the site of the Sul Riograndense, Rural do Sul, and Catolica de Pelotas universities (all established in 1960) and the Federal University of Pelotas (1883). It has an airport and a pair of modest football (soccer) stadiums. Pop. (2005 est.) 319,000.
Learn more about Pelotas with a free trial on Britannica.com.