city, seat (1890) of Clallam county, northwestern Washington, U.S., on Juan de Fuca Strait, linked by ferry to Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, 18 miles (29 km) north across the strait. Located at the base of Ediz Hook (a 3.5-mile- [5.6-km-] long, curving sand bar), the site was visited in 1791 by the Spanish explorer Francisco Eliza, who named the harbour Puerto de Nuestra Senora de los Angeles. Permanently settled in 1862, it has sheltered harbour facilities that serve the fishing industry; the city also has lumber, paper, and food-processing plants. Dairy farms are in the vicinity. Port Angeles is headquarters for nearby Olympic National Park and is known for its Salmon Derby (held every Labor Day weekend). It is home to Peninsula College (1961) and a U.S. Coast Guard station, the oldest in the United States. Protection Island National Wildlife Refuge, harbouring a rare population of rhinoceros auklets, lies offshore to the east of the city. Inc. 1890. Pop. (1990) 17,710; (2000) 18,397.
Learn more about Port Angeles with a free trial on Britannica.com.