Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
city, regional municipality of Niagara, southeastern Ontario, Canada. It lies a few miles south of Welland on the north shore of Lake Erie at the upper entrance of the Welland Ship Canal and opposite Humberstone Lock; at 1,381 feet (421 metres) long it is one of the world's largest lift locks. The first settlement of 1832 was known as Gravelly Bay; it was later renamed in honour of Sir John Colborne, lieutenant governor of Upper Canada (1828-36). The city is a modern industrial port and a transshipping point for cargoes moving west from Montreal. Industries include a large nickel-producing plant, iron smelters, and cement works. Inc. village, 1870; town, 1917. Pop. (2006) 18,599.