city, second most important seaport of South Australia (after Port Adelaide Enfield), located on the eastern shore and near the head of Spencer Gulf. Founded in 1848, it is named after the John Pirie, a vessel which had brought settlers there three years before. Incorporated as a municipality in 1876, it developed as the natural port for the export of lead ore from Broken Hill, New South Wales (220 miles [354 km] northeast). Lead smelting began at Port Pirie in 1889. The growth of this industry and the subsequent opening of zinc smelters have been largely responsible for the city's growth. Port Pirie possesses one of the world's largest lead smelters; it has a plant to process rare-earth oxides from beach sands (once used to extract uranium from ores of Radium Hill, northeast). In addition, silver and gold are refined, copper-lead alloys and sulfuric acid are produced, and wheat is stored for export. Port Pirie is connected by rail to Adelaide (125 miles [201 km] southeast), Kalgoorlie, and Broken Hill. Pop. (2006), Port Pirie and districts, 17,142.
Learn more about Port Pirie with a free trial on Britannica.com.