Get our exclusive Word of the Day images!
borough (town), Montgomery county, southeastern Pennsylvania, U.S., on the Schuylkill River, 37 miles (59 km) northwest of Philadelphia. The region's first iron forge (known as Pool) was erected there (1716) by Thomas Rutter, and the Coventry forge produced the first commercial steel in Pennsylvania in 1732. The town, laid out in 1753 by John Potts (an ironmaster whose father, Thomas, had been associated with Rutter), was known as Pottsgrove until 1815, when it was incorporated as a borough and the present name adopted. Arthur St. Clair lived there when he was elected president of the Continental Congress (1787). The iron industry had produced an economic boom by the 1880s.