city, western Ukraine. It lies along the upper Southern (Pivdennyy) Buh River. Originally a Polish military post, it dates from the late 15th century. The fort was seized by Cossacks during the mid-17th century. In 1793 it passed to Russia by the Second Partition of Poland, and in 1795 city status was conferred on it. In 1954 it was renamed in honour of the Ukrainian Cossack leader Bohdan Khmelnytsky. The modern city is a rail junction on the Odessa-Lviv and Chernivtsi-Korosten lines; its industries have included light engineering, food processing, and the manufacture of consumer goods. Its educational and cultural facilities include a technological institute, a theatre, and a philharmonic hall. Pop. (2001) 253,994; (2005 est.) 255,902.
Learn more about Proskurov with a free trial on Britannica.com.