|See Navarino Italian name: Navarino, Modern Greek name: Pílos a port in SW Greece, in the SW Peloponnese; scene of a defeat of the Spartans by the Athenians (425 |
any of three sites in Greece. The most important of them is identified with the modern Pilos (or Navarino, locally called Neokastro), the capital of the eparkhia ("eparchy") of Pylia in the nomos (department) of Messenia, Greece, on the southern headland of the Ormos (bay) Navarinou, a deepwater shipping channel on the southwest coast of the Peloponnese. It is protected and almost blocked from the sea by the island of Sphakteria (Sfaktiria), which has a summit (Mt. Illia) of 450 ft (137 m). The smaller island of Pilos to the south has a lighthouse and a monument to French sailors who fell at the Battle of Navarino (1827). The ancient historian Thucydides described Pylos as a deserted headland in 425 BC, when Athens defeated Sparta there in a land and naval battle during the Peloponnesian war. The modern town behind the south headland of the bay was built in 1829 by the French
Learn more about Pylos with a free trial on Britannica.com.