Stories We Like: Novels For Language Lovers
town, southern Punjab province, Pakistan. The town was founded in 1751 as Naushehra and received its present name in 1881. It is linked by road and rail with Bahawalpur, Multan, and Sukkur and is a growing industrial centre (cotton ginning and cottonseed-oil pressing). It has a large sports stadium and government colleges affiliated with the University of the Punjab. Cotton, wheat, rice, and dates are grown in the surrounding area. Pop. (1998 prelim.) 228,479.