city, west-central Bangladesh. It lies just north of the upper Padma River (Ganges [Ganga] River). It was selected by the Dutch in the early 18th century as the site of a factory (trading post) and was constituted a municipality under the British in 1876. Now an industrial centre, it produces silk, matches, timber, and processed agricultural products. It has several public hospitals, dozens of private hospitals and clinics, the Varendra Research Museum, a sericulture (silk-cultivation) institute, the University of Rajshahi (1953), and Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology (1986).
Learn more about Rajshahi with a free trial on Britannica.com.