A lot vs. Alot: 9 Grammatical Pitfalls
town, Schleswig-Holstein Land (state), northern Germany. It lies on the Eider River and the Kiel Canal (there bridged), west of Kiel. An old fortress town on the Schleswig and Holstein border, it was first mentioned in 1199 as Reinoldesburg. Chartered in 1253, it was often an object of dispute between the Danish kings and the counts of Schleswig and Holstein. It served as a German centre of operations in the revolt of Schleswig and Holstein against Denmark in 1848-50, and, after the German-Danish and Austro-Prussian wars (1864-66), it passed to Prussia. Commercial development was stimulated in 1895 by the opening of the Kiel Canal, which made it an inland seaport. Rendsburg is divided by the Eider River into the Altstadt ("Old Town") on an island in the Eider, the Neuwerk district to the south, and the industrial suburbs to the north. An important centre of water, road, and rail traffic, Rendsburg has an economy based on marketing agricultural goods, shipbuilding, toolmaking, and the manufacture of machinery, synthetic materials, and electrical, food, and wood products. Historic landmarks include St. Mary's Church (1287-93), the town hall (1566), and Christ Church (1696). Many medieval houses have survived. Pop. (2003 est.) 28,700.