town, northeastern Madhya Pradesh state, central India. The town was chosen as the capital of the former Rewa princely state in 1597 and served also as capital of the British Baghelkhand Agency (1871-1931) and of Vindhya Pradesh state (1948-56). It is connected by road with other towns and is a trade centre for grain, building stone, and timber. Cloth weaving and wood carving are important cottage industries. The town is the seat of Awadesh Pratap Singh University (established 1968), with several affiliated colleges, including a medical school, in the town.
Learn more about Rewa with a free trial on Britannica.com.