It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
distrito (district) of the Lima-Callao metropolitan area, north of central Lima, Peru. Created a district in 1921, the site was settled in early colonial days. The Puente de Piedras ("Bridge of Stone") was built in 1610. Notable colonial landmarks include the promenade and Monastery of the Descalzos (Barefoot Brethren); a building claimed to be the Palace of "La Perricholi" (Micaela Villegas, the mistress of an 18th-century viceroy), which now houses the Museum of the Viceroys; and the Acho bullring, oldest in the Americas.