pomegranate. (1.) A man of Beeroth (2 Sam. 4:2), one of the four Gibeonite cities. (See Josh. 9:17.) (2.) A Syrian idol, mentioned only in 2 Kings 5:18. (3.) One of the "uttermost cities" of Judah, afterwards given to Simeon (Josh. 15:21, 32; 19:7; 1 Chr. 4:32). In Josh. 15:32 Ain and Rimmon are mentioned separately, but in 19:7 and 1 Chr. 4:32 (comp. Neh. 11:29) the two words are probably to be combined, as forming together the name of one place, Ain-Rimmon=the spring of the pomegranate. It has been identified with Um er-Rumamin, about 13 miles south-west of Hebron. (4.) "Rock of," to which the Benjamites fled (Judg. 20:45, 47; 21:13), and where they maintained themselves for four months after the fearful battle at Gibeah, in which they were almost exterminated, 600 only surviving out of about 27,000. It is the present village of Rummon, "on the very edge of the hill country, with a precipitous descent toward the Jordan valley," supposed to be the site of Ai.
town (township), New Haven county, southwestern Connecticut, U.S. It lies along the Naugatuck River near New Haven. The area was settled about 1678 as part of Derby on land purchased from the Pequot Indians, who called it Naugatuck. It was known successively as Rimmon (1670); Chusetown (1735), for a local Indian chief; and Humphreyville (1805), for General David Humphreys. Humphreys imported Merino sheep from Spain to improve local breeds, established paper and woolen mills, and created a "model village." Other industries developed, including the first mohair plush made in the United States, which was produced in Seymour in 1880 by John Tingue. The town was incorporated in 1850 and was renamed for Thomas H. Seymour, then governor of Connecticut. Agriculture and the manufacture of copper and brass products are economically important. Area 15 square miles (38 square km). Pop. (1990) 14,288; (2000) 15,454.
Learn more about Rimmon with a free trial on Britannica.com.