city, York county, northern South Carolina, U.S., near the Catawba River, 26 miles (42 km) south of Charlotte, North Carolina. Established in 1851 as a depot on the Charlotte and South Carolina Railroad, it was named for a flint hill in the vicinity. During the American Civil War, Rock Hill was a transfer point for Confederate troops and supplies. Development of cotton mills in the area, beginning in 1867, spurred the community's growth.
Learn more about Rock Hill with a free trial on Britannica.com.