Know how to use "fewer" and "less"? Find out.
extensive tract of flat land with an area of about 25,000 acres (about 10,000 hectares) bordering the English Channel in Shepway district in the administrative and historic county of Kent, England. It extends from Hythe in the north to the Dungeness promontory in the south. It has emerged from the sea since Roman times, partly by natural accretion and partly by dyking and reclamation. This marshland possesses some of the finest grazing land in Britain. Romney Marsh sheep, a long-wool variety, have earned worldwide renown and are especially important in Australia and New Zealand. The Romney, Hythe, and Dymchurch narrow-gauge railway attracts many visitors.
city, seat (1753) of Hampshire county, in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, U.S., on the South Branch Potomac River, 28 miles (45 km) south of Cumberland, Maryland. It developed from the settlement of Pearsall's Flats (1738), which then expanded around Fort Pearsall (1756); with Shepherdstown, Romney lays claim to being the state's oldest incorporated town. Chartered in 1762, it was named by Virginia landowner Thomas Fairfax, 6th Baron Fairfax, for Romney, one of the ports of southern England. During the American Civil War, Romney, because of its strategic position near the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, changed hands numerous times. Fiercely pro-South, it sent two regiments to fight at Harpers Ferry in 1861.