village and trading post in Nord-du-Quebec region, western Quebec province, Canada, on James Bay, at the mouth of the Rupert River. Founded in 1668 as the first Hudson's Bay Company post by the Medart Chouart, sieur de Groseilliers, it was at first called Fort-Charles and was the first European settlement in northern Canada. The fort was captured by the French in 1686 and remained under their control until 1713, during which period it was called Fort-Saint-Jacques. In 1777 the company post was reestablished, and it has been in operation ever since. Inc. village, 1978. Pop. (2002) 1,864.
Learn more about Rupert House with a free trial on Britannica.com.