Get our exclusive Word of the Day images!
historic district and village, St. Mary's county, southern Maryland, U.S., on St. Marys River some 15 miles (25 km) southeast of Leonardtown, the county seat. Established in 1634 by colonists led by Leonard Calvert and named for the Virgin Mary, it was Maryland's first European settlement and was built on the site of a Secowocomoco Indian village. The Leonard Calvert Monument (1890), on the grounds of the Trinity Episcopal Church, supposedly marks the spot where the colonists assembled to establish Maryland's first government. St. Marys was the colonial capital, and in 1676 the colonists built a statehouse there (reconstructed in 1934). With the removal of the capital to Annapolis in 1694 and the county seat to Leonardtown in 1710, the settlement declined rapidly.