Get our exclusive Word of the Day images!
town, capital of Cotes d'Armor departement, Brittany region, northwestern France. It is situated on a promontory between the ravines of the Gouet River and its tributary the Gouedic, near Saint-Brieuc Bay on the English Channel. Saint-Brieuc is named after a Welsh monk, St. Briocus, who evangelized the region in the 6th century and established an oratory there. In 1375 the town was defended against the Duke of Brittany by Olivier de Clisson, who in 1394 attacked it himself; in both sieges the massive fortified Cathedral of Saint-Etienne (which dates from the 13th century) was much damaged. It has been reconstructed several times. In 1592 Saint-Brieuc was pillaged by the Spaniards and in 1601 ravaged by the plague.