town and port on Samarai Island, Papua New Guinea, southwestern Pacific Ocean. It lies 3 miles (5 km) offshore from the southeasternmost extremity of the island of New Guinea. Samarai Island, which has an area of 54 acres (22 hectares), was visited in 1873 by the British navigator Capt. John Moresby, who named it Dinner Island after he and his crew ate a meal there. The London Missionary Society purchased Samarai Island from the indigenous populace in the 1880s and established a settlement. The island was transferred to the administration of the British government in 1888. Before World War II the town served as the principal port and chief mission station for most of the eastern portion of Papua and as a jumping-off place for miners heading for the goldfields of mainland New Guinea and the Louisiade Archipelago. Almost totally destroyed by Japanese bombing in 1942, the town was rebuilt after the war. Samarai is an important commercial centre. Regular shipping from its island-sheltered anchorage takes copra, rubber, cocoa, and coffee 250 miles (400 km) west to Port Moresby.
Learn more about Samarai with a free trial on Britannica.com.