city, seat (1875) of Tom Green county, west-central Texas, U.S. It lies about 90 miles (145 km) southwest of Abilene. Founded in 1869 near Fort Concho (now a museum) at the confluence of the North, South, and Middle Concho rivers, it was first known as Over-the-River but was renamed Santa Angela (later masculinized) for a sister-in-law of Bart J. DeWitt, one of the founders. The rivers have been impounded there (for irrigation and flood control) to form Twin Buttes Reservoir and other lakes.
Learn more about San Angelo with a free trial on Britannica.com.