town, south-central Segovia provincia (province), in southern Castile-Leon comunidad autonoma (autonomous community), central Spain. The town is surrounded by a dense forest and lies at the foot of the Penalara Mountains, just southeast of Segovia city. Founded (c. 1450) by Henry IV as a summer retreat, the town was given to the Hieronymite monks in 1477 by the Roman Catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella. It was subsequently sold by them in 1720 to Philip V, the first Bourbon king of Spain, who planned to build a summer palace there that would rival those at Versailles, France, and Parma, Italy
Learn more about San Ildefonso with a free trial on Britannica.com.