city and port, southeastern Santa Fe provincia (province), northeastern Argentina, on the Parana River. The settlement grew up around a monastery, which the Argentine liberator Jose de San Martin used as headquarters during the 1813 Battle of San Lorenzo. It was given city status in 1944. The city's economic base is varied, with petrochemical works that are among the largest in Argentina. It is a trade and manufacturing centre for the agricultural hinterland, in which corn (maize), flax, wheat, sugarcane, and sunflowers are cultivated. The numerous manufacturers produce gasoline, foodstuffs, glass, paper, ceramics, construction materials, and other goods. The city's deepwater port is accessible to oceangoing vessels. San Lorenzo, located 14 miles (23 km) north of the city of Rosario, is an integral part of Greater Rosario. Pop. (2001) 43,039.
Learn more about San Lorenzo with a free trial on Britannica.com.