It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
city, Washtenaw county, southeastern Michigan, U.S. It lies along the Huron River just east of Ann Arbor. Originally called Woodruff's Grove, it grew up around a French trading post (1809-19) and was renamed in 1825 for Demetrios Ypsilantis, a Greek patriot whose monument stands in the city. The settlement developed as an outfitting point for travelers on the Detroit-Chicago road (opened 1835); in 1838 Ypsilanti became the first major depot west of Detroit on the Michigan Central Railroad to St. Joseph. Long a farm trading centre, Ypsilanti became industrially important with a wide range of manufactures (including auto parts, books, and plastics). Immediately east are the Willow Run Airport, which is a cargo hub serving the Detroit metropolitan area, and the huge Willow Run auto plants, which originated in 1942 as a manufacturing complex for B-24 bombers. Ypsilanti is the site of Eastern Michigan University (1849). Ford Lake (impounded on the Huron River just south of the city by Ford Dam) is a popular recreation site. Inc. village, 1832; city, 1858. Pop. (2000) 22,362; (2005 est.) 21,832.