city, capital of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania Land (state), northern Germany. It lies on the southwestern shore of Schweriner Lake, southwest of Rostock. Originally a Wendish settlement first mentioned in 1018, the German town was founded and chartered by the Saxon duke Henry the Lion in 1160. A bishopric was established there about 1170, and Schwerin also became the seat of a countship. The city and county of Schwerin passed in 1358 to Mecklenburg, as did the lands of the bishopric when it was secularized in 1648. The Reformation was introduced in 1524, and Schwerin was occupied (1624-31) during the Thirty Years' War by imperial troops under Albrecht von Wallenstein. Schwerin served as the capital of Mecklenburg-Schwerin from the mid-14th century to 1471, from 1621 to 1695, and from 1701 until 1934, when it became the capital of a unified Mecklenburg Land. From 1952 to 1990 the city was capital of the Schwerin Bezirk (district) of East Germany.
Learn more about Schwerin with a free trial on Britannica.com.