town, south-central Karnataka (formerly Mysore) state, southern India. It is situated at the western end of Seringapatam Island in the Cauvery River, just north-northeast of Mysore town. Named for its 12th-century temple dedicated to Sri Ranga (the Hindu god Vishnu), the town was fortified in the 15th century and became capital of the Mysore rajahs (1610) and of the sultans (1761). Haidar (Hyder) Ali and his son, Tippu (Tipu) Sultan, reigned there when a treaty was concluded with the British (1792), who had successfully besieged the fort. During the Fourth Mysore War (1799), Tippu was killed and the fort again fell to the British.
Learn more about Shrirangapattana with a free trial on Britannica.com.