Get the details behind our redesign
town, Prahova judet (county), east-central Romania. It lies about 65 miles (105 km) north-northwest of Bucharest in the Prahova River valley, at the foot of Mount Furnica in the Bucegi Massif of the Transylvanian Alps (Southern Carpathians). In 1695 a knight, Mihai Cantacuzino, built a monastery there and named it Sinaia after a monastery on Mount Sinai in the Sinai Peninsula. The name was passed on to the town, which developed rapidly after the arrival of a railway line in 1878. The 160-room Peles Museum (with a German Renaissance exterior and various interior architectural styles) has a collection of paintings, furniture, and carpets. The Pelisor Palace has English-style landscaped gardens with exotic plants and conifers. A popular mountain and health resort, Sinaia has modern hotels and rest houses, campsites, and sports facilities. The town has a metallurgical works and factories producing building materials and processed foods. Pop. (1985 est.) 15,435.