It’s about time. We are now on Instagram!
borough (town), Centre county, Pennsylvania, U.S. It lies in the Nittany Valley between Bald Eagle Mountain (northwest) and Tussey Mountain (southeast), near the state's geographic centre. Settled in 1859, it was named for Pennsylvania State College (now Pennsylvania State University), which was established there in 1855. The Old Main building (1859) on the campus contains a renowned American mural, the "Land Grant Mural" by Henry Varnum Poor. The town, a service centre for the university (in University Park), has high technology industries and is also a shipping point for surrounding farmlands producing oats and pigs. Inc. 1896. Pop. (1990) borough, 38,981; State College MSA, 124,812; (1996 est.) borough, 39,400; State College MSA, 131,489.