town (township), Berkshire county, western Massachusetts, U.S. It lies along the Housatonic River in the Berkshire Hills, 12 miles (19 km) south of Pittsfield. In 1737 John Sergeant and Timothy Woodbridge chartered a Christian mission on the site, which became known as Indian Town. Incorporated in 1739 and named for Stockbridge, Hampshire, England, it remained essentially a Native American settlement until 1785. The theologian Jonathan Edwards was pastor and missionary there in 1751-57.
Learn more about Stockbridge with a free trial on Britannica.com.