Stories We Like: A Guide to the Comma
city, Mecklenburg-West Pomerania Land (state), northeastern Germany. It is a Baltic Sea port on the Strelasund (strait) opposite Rugen island, with which it is connected by the Rugendamm, a road and rail embankment. There was a village that specialized in ferrying goods and passengers to Rugen island as early as 1200; it was chartered in 1234. Stralsund joined the Hanseatic League in 1293 and was one of the centres (with Wismar) of the Wendish section of the league. During the Thirty Years' War it was unsuccessfully besieged in 1628 by imperial forces under Albrecht von Wallenstein. In 1648 it was transferred to Sweden, under which it became a defensive and administrative centre. Stralsund was occupied by the French in 1807 and by the Danes in 1814, and it passed to Prussia in 1815. It was heavily damaged during World War II, but its brick-construction medieval Gothic churches and town hall survived, and many of its historic townhouses have been restored. The city's historic centre was designated a UNESCO World Heritage site in 2002. Stralsund's port facilities and shipbuilding yards were expanded after World War II; they were renovated and improved again in the 1990s, following German reunification. Stralsund is also an important administrative, shopping, and tourist centre. Major manufactures include metal and woodworking, and brewing and bottling are important. Fishing also contributes to the local economy. Pop. (2003 est.) 59,140.