town, northern Bulgaria, on the terraced bank of the Danube River. Svishtov is one of the largest Bulgarian Danube ports and is a cultural centre. The Romans built on a strategic site near the town in the 1st century AD. There is little historical record of the town during the First and Second Bulgarian empires (11th-14th century), but under the Turks (15th-19th century) it was a major trade and craft centre, then called Sistova. During the Russo-Turkish War (1877-78), it was damaged several times and sacked by the Russians in 1878.
Learn more about Svishtov with a free trial on Britannica.com.