area of Berlin, Germany. It is the site of an airport that became well known during the Soviet blockade of West Berlin (1948-49; see Berlin blockade and airlift); the airport was enlarged to serve as the main terminus for regular Allied airlifts of supplies. A statue commemorating the Berlin airlift stands in a park in front of the arrivals hall. In September 1975 nearly all air services transferred to the new Tegel Airport, though Tempelhof continued to accommodate U.S. military aircraft. After reunification, Tempelhof resumed civilian flights to help ease air traffic congestion in Berlin. Appliances, machinery, metal products, and chocolate are manufactured in Tempelhof.
Learn more about Tempelhof with a free trial on Britannica.com.