town, northeastern Algeria. It is located 146 miles (235 km) by road south of Annaba and 12 miles (19 km) west of the Tunisian frontier. Tebessa was an outpost of Carthage in the 7th century BC and a Roman garrison town in 146 BC. It declined in the 5th and 6th centuries AD and disappeared from history after the Arab invasion of the 7th century. The Turks stationed a small military garrison there, and, after French rule began in Algeria in 1830, Tebessa was developed as the easternmost of the Algerian gateways to the south
Learn more about Theveste with a free trial on Britannica.com.