town, south-central Myanmar (Burma). Located on the right bank of the Sittang River, it was founded as Ketumadi in 1510 by King Minkyinyo and was capital of the Toungoo dynasty until 1540, when the seat of government was moved to Pegu (Bago), 125 miles (200 km) south. Parts of the old moat and wall remain; official buildings and minor industries are outside the wall. There are rice mills and sawmills, and timber and coffee are processed. The town has an institute for training elementary teachers. The Shwesandaw and Myasigon pagodas date from the mid-16th century.
Learn more about Toungoo with a free trial on Britannica.com.