any of various tools having a flat blade with a handle, used for depositing and working mortar, plaster, etc.
a similar tool with a curved, scooplike blade, used in gardening for taking up plants, turning up earth, etc.
verb (used with object), troweled, troweling or (especially British) trowelled, trowelling.
to apply, shape, smooth, or dig with or as if with a trowel.

1300–50; Middle English < Old French truelle < Late Latin truella, equivalent to Latin tru(a) ladle + -ella -elle

troweler; especially British, troweller, noun Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To trowelling
World English Dictionary
trowel (ˈtraʊəl)
1.  any of various small hand tools having a flat metal blade attached to a handle, used for scooping or spreading plaster or similar materials
2.  a similar tool with a curved blade used by gardeners for lifting plants, etc
vb , -els, -elling, -elled, -els, -eling, -eled
3.  (tr) to use a trowel on (plaster, soil, etc)
[C14: from Old French truele, from Latin trulla a scoop, from trua a stirring spoon]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

1344, "tool for spreading plaster or mortar," from O.Fr. truele (13c.), from L.L. truella "small ladle, dipper" (1163), dim. of L. trua "a stirring spoon, ladle, skimmer." The gardening tool was so called since 1796.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Related Words
Copyright © 2014, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature