un chamfered


a cut that is made in wood or some other material, usually at a 45° angle to the adjacent principal faces. Compare bevel.
verb (used with object)
to make a chamfer on or in.

1595–1605; back formation from chamfering (taken as chamfer + -ing1) < Middle French chamfrein, variant of chanfreint beveled edge, orig. past participle of chanfraindre to bevel, equivalent to chant edge (< Latin canthus; see cant2) + fraindre to break < Latin frangere; see frangible

chamferer, noun
unchamfered, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2014.
Cite This Source Link To un chamfered
World English Dictionary
chamfer (ˈtʃæmfə)
1.  Compare bevel a narrow flat surface at the corner of a beam, post, etc, esp one at an angle of 45°
2.  to cut such a surface on (a beam, etc)
3.  another word for chase
[C16: back formation from chamfering,from Old French chamfrein, from chant edge (see cant²) + fraindre to break, from Latin frangere]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
Cite This Source
Word Origin & History

1601, "small groove cut in wood or stone," from M.Fr. chanfraindre (Mod.Fr. chanfreiner), pp. of chanfraint, second element from L. frangere "to break;" perhaps the whole word is cantum frangere "to break the edge." Meaning "bevelled surface of a square edge or corner" is attested from c.1840, of uncertain
connection to the other sense.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Cite This Source
Copyright © 2014 Dictionary.com, LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Please Login or Sign Up to use the Recent Searches feature